List:       mailman-users
Subject:    Re: [Mailman-Users] Attachments not getting through at random...
From:       Mark Sapiro <mark () msapiro ! net>
Date:       2015-06-23 1:19:29

On 06/21/2015 10:55 AM, Nick Stevens via Mailman-Users wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm new to the list - I did search the archives, but cannot find anything
> covering my specific case.

In the future and when following up, please post from your subscribed
(...@gmail.com) address, not ...@googlemail.com. Otherwise you run the
risk of your non-member post being discarded.

> My problem is with attachments to my list. For some users, attachments
> never get through. I'm sure it is not the file, in a couple of cases I
> asked the senders to CC my personal, email address. I was able to confirm
> the image was within limits, and also tried attaching it in a message from
> myself, which worked in every test.
>
> So I am somewhat confused as to what the problem might be, if it is not the
> attachment...

What are your list's Content filtering settings. If filter_content is
Yes, what's in filter_mime_types, pass_mime_types,
filter_filename_extensions and pass_filename_extensions, and what is the
mime type and filename if any of the attachments that don't get through?

Also, if collapse_alternatives is Yes, it is possible that the messages
have a MIME structure like

multipart/alternative
    multipart/related
        text/html
        image/jpeg

or something similar. I.e. a plain text alternative and a
multipart/related alternative with html and images or something similar.
collapse_alternatives will keep only the text/plain part.

If filter_content is No, then Mailman shouldn't be removing any
attachments, at least assuming Non-digest options -> scrub_nondigest is no.

> My sample size is fairly small, but I'm suspicious that Apple users are
> getting this problem preferentially.

Quite possible as Apple Mail is known to create 'unusual' MIME
structures. You may not be accepting some multipart subtypes that it uses.

> What might it be? Perhaps the encoding used?

Encoding shouldn't affect this.

--
Mark Sapiro <mark@msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,