List:       mailman-users
Subject:    Re: [Mailman-Users] mail not going out; no logs
From:       chad+mailman () shire ! net
Date:       2011-11-18 17:37:00

Turns out this is an embarrassing case of user being an idiot.  I was looking in the \
wrong list admin UI.  There are two lists with similar names and for some reason I \
was logged in to the wrong one.  (Probably because I had just that day been fixing a \
problem with the list UI for that wrong list and made a mental screw up based on \
association and the fact that I still had a browser window opened to it).

I got that figured out when the real admin of the list logged in and approved one and \
cancelled the rest and the approved one came across the wire, which surprised me \
since I had not had the luck.

(continued below)

On Nov 18, 2011, at 12:30 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> The message is being held for some reason. Mailman's vette log will
> tell you why, and it should appear on the list's admindb interface.

This is what was confusing me since I was logged in to the wrong list's admin UI.

However, there was no vette log.  That appears to get created by the action of the \
admin going through and canceling or approving already held messages, but does not \
show the original hold condition/reason.

There is a vette log after the real admin went in and cleared out all my test posts \
and approved her real one.

> > logs/   shows nothing except when the qrunners start and stop (successfully).
>

> If you don't see anything in Mailman's vette log, there is either a
> permissions issue in writing the logs or you are not looking at the
> correct logs.

Now that I see what the issue was, things are OK.  But the lack of logs had concerned \
me and I was not sure how to debug why they were not getting written as the \
permissions all looked fine.  Hence my original confusion.

> If you don't see the held message in the admindb interface, the web
> server is pointing at the wrong Mailman installation.

Or I am in the wrong list admindb interface ;-)

Thanks for your help!
Chad