List:       mailman-developers
Subject:    [Mailman-Developers] =?utf-8?q?Re=3A_mailman3_merge_strategies_=28squashing_commits_vs=2E_leaving_co
From:       "Abhilash Raj" <maxking () asynchronous ! in>
Date:       2019-08-09 17:00:12

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Developers wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-08-09 at 17:10 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > Abhilash Raj writes:
> >  > + Mailman Developers, since this seems like a general discussion topic.
> >  >
> >  > On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, at 2:01 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> >  > > Hi Abhilash,
> >  > >
> >  > > I just looked into the two recent merges from Daniel on mailman's
> >  > > master branch.
> >  > >
> >  > > I noticed that you squashed the MR branch commits into one commit
> >  > > before the merge and that this one commit uses the latest commit
> >  > > messages of the MR branch to describe what the squashed commits do.
> >  > > Unfortunately, that commit messages does not appropriately describe
> >  > > what the commit in fact does.
> >
> > I seem to recall that somebody (one of the VCSes? one of the web repo
> > hosting services?) has a system that squashes the commits and
> > concatenates all the log messages for the merged branch.  Perhaps
> > gitlab has an option to do this?

It doesn't, atleast not that I could find. The only two strategies that
it will use is to either use any commit with multi-line commit message
or just pick up the MR's title. We ideally want it to always do the latter
but I can't see a config for that.

I can manually change the message when merging, which I what I am going
to try, if I can keep it in my mind when merging ofc ;-)

> Yes, gitlab has an option to do this, it's a checkbox during the
> creation of the MR.

Yes, Gitlab does have this option and we do use that often.

The discussion is mostly about the output of the squashing and how does
the commit message looks like.

--
  thanks,
  Abhilash Raj (maxking)