List:       mailman-developers
Subject:    [Mailman-Developers] GNU Mailman Season of Docs Proposal Selection
From:       "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull.stephen.fw () u ! tsukuba ! ac ! jp>
Date:       2019-08-09 8:13:46

To the applicants to Google Season of Docs with GNU Mailman:
Cc: Mailman Developers

[This is an abbreviated version of the message sent directly to the
applicants.]

Thank you all for your interest in GNU Mailman, and for applying to
Season of Docs with the Mailman organization.

First, I would like to congratulate Ariessa Norramli, whose project
"Instructions for Migrating from Mailman 2 to Mailman 3" we selected
for implementation this autumn.  The list of all projects selected is
available on the Season of Docs website at
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants/

Public discussion of the project will take place on the Mailman
Developers mailing list <mailman-developers@python.org>.  We will also
negotiate a blogging requirement during the community bonding period.
Of course Mailman is a public project on GitLab, and you can follow
progress of the documentation project there.  URLs for the blog and
the repo will be posted to the mailing list.

I hope all of the applicants will find some way to participate in the
Mailman project as suits time and interest.

About the Selection Process:

Eight technical writers in some way expressed interest in Season of
Docs with GNU Mailman, of whom five entered proposals via the Season
of Docs website.  Two of those proposals were stubs containing little
or no content, which were eliminated quickly.

The remaining three proposals were all very high quality, and in fact
we could have selected any of them.  Each had small advantages and
disadvantages compared to the other two.  The tie-breaking criterion
was the content of the proposal: after consulting with Abhilash, I
decided that the migration instructions project was our biggest
documentation need based on the questions we get on the Mailman 3
users mailing list.

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information