List:       mailman-developers
Subject:    Re: [Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-i18n] A better way
From:       Barry Warsaw <barry () python ! org>
Date:       2006-01-11 3:23:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:08 +0100, Bjørn Vermo wrote:

> May I suggest a zero-lingual base version? The only way to make software
> truly language independent is to avoid the concept of a "default language".
> If everybody has to get a language file, developers will be forced to
> think about localization issues.

That's difficult.  IIUC what you propose is a more 'catgets' style than
a 'gettext' style of coding.  E.g. where each human readable message in
the source is given a number so that even English messages must be
looked up in the catalog.  The alternative is what Mailman currently
uses -- the English message serves as the lookup key in the catalog.

Ages ago we experimented with both styles.  I highly dislike message
numbers and prefer gettext, although admittedly I'm probably biased by
being a native English speaker.

As for Fil's opinion on splitting the distribution up by languages, I
kind of agree.  I think we should continue to produce fat distributions
with all languages, possibly providing an English-only (i.e. no
catalogs) distribution as a thin alternative.  I'm still +1 though on
Tokio's changes to allow the site admin to /install/ Mailman with fewer
languages.

-Barry