List:       mailman-developers
Subject:    [Mailman-Developers] Adding to the FAQ & other documentation
From:       Terri Oda <terri () zone12 ! com>
Date:       2002-05-30 20:04:05

I'm starting to merge in a bunch of old archives to linuxchix's current
archives (under 2.0.10), and I ran in to a problem.  Searching the mailing
lists let me know that I wasn't the only one with the problem, but didn't
give me the answer.

Here's a good description of the problem from a nice guy who sadly had to
tell me he hadn't found the answer either, but there were a decent number
of similar stories on the mailing list:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-May/019594.html

In my case, it was just refusing to build with the old archives inserted,
so I was just keeping the same HTML pages even though the mbox file had
been changed.

So, recalling that From lines could be a problem, I started going through
the big archive file and discovered that right near the beginning, there's
a message with two From lines.  I remove one, and voila!  the entire thing
rebuilds.

I'm happy now, but in the interest of saving other people some effort and
hairpulling... could a few lines about this be added to the FAQ
(http://list.org/faq.html, I'd guess) and wherever else it's
appropriate?  I'd be quite happy to do this myself if someone can tell me
how and what I need to do to get access. :)

Here's the quickly-written version:

---

Q: How do I rebuild the HTML pages for the archives?

A: Run <prefix>/bin/arch <listname> to rebuild the HTML.

If it says "Pickling archive state into
<prefix>/archives/private/<listname>/pipermail.pck" but doesn't make any
changes,
(see http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-May/019594.html
for a longer description of the problem)
you may have a slightly corrupted mbox file which can't be read correctly
by the archive generator.

Take a look at the mbox file (Typically:
that each message is separated by one blank line and begins with one and
only one line of the form From <email> <date>.

---

On the subject of documentation... Mary set this up so that it
automatically subs in the appropriate list name to our FAQ.

http://www.linuxchix.org/content/docs/faqs/technical.html?listname=grrltalk

Has anyone ever thought about having a help page like this set up as part
of mailman?  I know it'd be nice to believe that the pages are clear enough
as is, but I know sometimes a longer explanation can help people out.

  Terri