List:       mageia-dev
Subject:    Re: [Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions,
From:       Samuel Verschelde <stormi () laposte ! net>
Date:       2010-10-21 20:39:30

Le mercredi 13 octobre 2010 20:22:01, Michael Scherer a écrit :

> Le mardi 12 octobre 2010 à 18:02 +0300, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Do people have any thoughts on what kind of repository/media sectioning we
> > should use on Mageia, and what should those sections contain?
> >
> > Note that I won't talk about backports / private repositories in this post,
> > only about the basic sectioning and packages in those.
> >
> > Some points to consider (I've written my opinion in ones where I have one):
> >
> > == Do we want a separated core repository?
> >
> > No separated core: Fedora, Debian, Opensuse
> > Separated core: Mandriva (main), Ubuntu (main), Arch (Core)
>
> How do we decide what would be in core ?

I don't know exactly, however I'd like we clearly separate officially supported \
packages from the others.

Some people will tell me "what's the difference, we are a community distro now", but \
                I think we still have to clearly say what packages we give :
- guaranteed security updates
- guaranteed bugfix updates for important bugs
- (If some parts of my proposal at http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=rollingdebate \
are kept) supported backports (for the most-wanted packages)

There may be a QA Coordination Team which would help choose which packages are in \
main/core and which are in extra, along with the other teams and maybe user votes.

Main : packages which have a regular maintainer or maintainer team. If you install \
them, you know you can trust the team to maintain it properly.

Contrib/extra : other packages.

In a perfect world, with infinite man power, everything would be in "main" and there \
would be no "extra". However in our real world, we have to decide which packages are \
guaranteed (main) and which ones are outside QA Team responsibility. One of our goals \
will be to increase the perimeter of "main", when we get more contributers.

Another difference : as in Mandriva, there would be stricter rules about package \
updates in main than in contrib/extra. This is important to help provide high quality \
packages and updates in main.

If there is a clearly defined set of supported packages, with a support policy I can \
trust, then I can recommend Mageia for server use and corporate workstation use. If \
we meld everything in one big bag of packages, I can only fear for the distribution's \
quality.

However, I don't know if there has to be separate media or any other *clear* way to \
differentiate supported packages from extra packages.

Best regards

Samuel Verschelde