List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: force rebuild a port
From:       "Richard L. Hamilton" <rlhamil () smart ! net>
Date:       2024-03-27 15:47:11

To explain:

-n prevents rebuilding ports that the ports being upgraded (works with install too I \
suppose, but there should be no need for that) depend on; it may cause failure if \
they're not already installed and up-to-date

--force forces upgrading even of a port that's current; but without the -n, that \
would apply to everything it depends on too, which is slow and might cause more \
problems (esp. if there are issues with any of the build tools used)

--no-rev-upgrade because while the check for broken ports is usually good, it might \
get in the way in this sort of situation; and because one might be repeating the \
command one port at a time for more than one port (separate commands so it tries them \
all even if one fails), and since the check is a bit slow, that saves time

This is rather far down the list of what one should try, because normally -n is not a \
good idea (although it can make sense to limit --force), and because ideally one \
would just do "port upgrade" and let it sort out what needs doing. But clearly it \
helps sometimes when things aren't right and you don't want to do more than \
necessary.