List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Why would Kreversi want a spell checker?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-20 3:11:23

> On 20 Nov 2022, at 9:51 am, Sriranga Veeraraghavan <sriranga@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I think that you are correct - aspell is a dependency of KDE itself.
>
> Looking at the port info for kreversi, it looks like kreversi depends on kdelibs4, \
> which in turn depends on aspell.

That would definitely be the case.

I used to be a KDE4 Games developer, using Apple MacBook, with MacPorts to get the \
libraries. They are huge and have a huge chain of dependencies for every KDE app, \
such as an entire desktop text-indexing system and relational database (which never \
worked too well, FWICG).

The KDE Core Developers' solution was to re-design the entire library system as small \
modules with fewer dependencies. That collection is called KF5 Frameworks. And the \
desktop indexing (for Linux systems) is now done by KDE's Baloo application. On \
Apple, of course, we have Spotlight for that.

A few of us tried, but we never succeeded in porting KF5 Frameworks and Qt5 to \
MacPorts. So my career as a KDE developer ended there. Also, the KDE4 apps in \
MacPorts are gradually bit-rotting away with every new Apple release of an O/S.

The KDE games still work for me on Catalina and Intel hardware (MacBook Pro 13 inch \
2017), but I can no longer get KMyMoney4 to work properly. Also I have struck a brick \
wall on my new MacBook Pro 13 inch with Monterrey and the new Apple CPU hardware. I \
cannot get Qt4 and kdelibs4 to build on that combo.

So be alert but not alarmed, Dave.

Cheers, Ian W.