List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: MacPorts downloaded package with wrong architecture on arm64 machine
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2022-09-09 3:44:29

On Aug 30, 2022, at 20:57, Ian Wadham wrote:

> I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro with Monterey O/S and installed MacPorts on \
> it from scratch.
> I installed the qt4-mac port successfully, but kdelibs4 refused to install because \
> the qt4-mac port did not support arm64 architecture and i am on an Apple Silicon \
> arm64 machine.
> The problem arose because the installation process for qt4-mac included the steps:
>
> —>  Attempting to fetch qt4-mac-4.8.7_13.darwin_21.x86_64.tbz from \
> https://packages.macports.org/qt4-mac —>  Attempting to fetch \
> qt4-mac-4.8.7_13.darwin_21.x86_64.tbz.rmd160 from \
> https://packages.macports.org/qt4-mac
> The second step succeeded, i.e. MacPorts itself downloaded an inappropriate package \
> for an Apple Silicon machine. I noticed that some (maybe not all) of qt4-mac's \
> dependencies were compiled or downloaded as arm64 code and, curiously, some of \
> Qt4's utility apps work on my machine, perhaps due to the Rosetta emulator stepping \
> in and taking over.
> The kdelibs4 install failed in the "Computing dependencies…" step, saying "Error: \
> Cannot install kdelibs4 for the arch arm64 because its dependency qt4-mac only \
> supports the archs ‘ppc ppc64 i386 x86_64'"
> Is this a bug or is it the end of the line for kdelibs4 on arch64? Can kdelibs4 \
> really build as arch64? And what about its (enormous) list of other dependencies? \
> Do they all build for arch64?
> If there is a bug here, I think it is that MacPorts can download a package for an \
> inappropriate architecture.

MacPorts correctly installed qt4-mac for x86_64 on your machine because qt4-mac does \
not support arm64. The x86_64 qt4-mac will work on your arm64 Mac via Rosetta 2 \
dynamic translation.

kdelibs4, and all other ports that use qt4-mac, need to be declared to be \
arm64-incompatible, due to qt4-mac's arm64 incompatibility.

See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/65765