List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: code signing and the future of MacPorts
From:       Rainer_Müller <raimue () macports ! org>
Date:       2022-03-13 16:41:18

Hello,

here is an older concept from 2016 I had written for gdb/lldb as Apple beg=
an to require code-signing for debuggers=2E This applies to more actions by=
 now, but with the same requirements=2E The replies are also relevant and d=
iscuss alternatives=2E

https://lists=2Emacports=2Eorg/pipermail/macports-dev/2016-September/03351=
8=2Ehtml

I still think adding a local private key to the trust store for code-signi=
ng at install/activation time is the only option=2E I do not see that code-=
signing binary archives created on the buildbots would be a feasible approa=
ch=2E This would essentially turn MacPorts into a binary-only distribution=
=2E Most parts are not ready for that and features like rev-upgrade rely on=
 local rebuilds=2E

Rainer