List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: How to get a developers' package for Ruby
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-10-03 10:17:56

> On 2 Oct 2021, at 6:33 pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign@macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Sep 21, 2021, at 23:49, Ian Wadham wrote:
>
> > I wish to download from the Web a package called CocoaPods, however it needs a \
> > developers' package of Ruby to build it.
> > I am using MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. Apple provides Ruby in this MacOSversion, but \
> > will not allow it to be used for building non-Apple apps. They say they are \
> > phasing out the use of Ruby in MacOS and Apple Mac apps.
> > Googling around about this problem, all the solutions I have found recommend \
> > getting a "ruby-dev" package from Homebrew, but MacPorts, which I use a lot, \
> > recommends against mixing MacPorts and Homebrew.
>
> Some other package managers observe a distinction between "runtime" and \
> "development" packages, with the latter having a "-dev" suffix. MacPorts does not \
> observe such a distinction. All packages in MacPorts contain both the runtime and \
> development parts, to the extent that each software package has those parts.

I have since found out that all Ruby packages have facilities for developing programs \
or running existing programs, including MacPorts' "ruby" and "ruby$NN" packages. The \
command "gem" is used to build and install Ruby programs. I have used the "ruby27" \
port to build and install CocoaPods successfully, I am pleased to say, which was my \
primary objective.

> MacPorts does have port names with a "-devel" suffix, but they embody a completely \
> unrelated concept. Ports with names not ending with "-devel" are typically for \
> stable versions of software while ports with the "-devel" name suffix are for newer \
> unstable versions.
> > Failing that, would it be safe to install Homebrew and its ruby-dev, just for \
> > building CocoaPods?
>
> Please choose one package manager and uninstall the other. We do not want to spend \
> time diagnosing problems that were caused by installing software with multiple \
> conflicting package managers.

It turns out that MacPorts Ruby packages do not work "out of the box" because the \
"ruby_select" port file is not doing its job (see "ruby_select is broken" thread). I \
used a "port select" command to complete the installation correctly.

Homebrew's Ruby was recommended on Stack Overflow and elsewhere, but it provides only \
the latest Ruby. Besides I have other packages I use on MacPorts and won't be going \
anywhere else in a hurry. There are also several Ruby installers such as rbenv or \
RVM, which might have been my next port of call if I had not not gotten a MacPorts' \
Ruby installed.

Thanks, Ryan.
Ian Wadham.