List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: macOS 11 Big Sur and MacPorts
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-08-29 21:25:35

> On 30 Aug 2021, at 6:30 am, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
> > > Thanks for the heads-up; I think my MacBook Pro will be stuck forever on Sierra \
> > > 10.12.6 (although admittedly I haven't tried High Sierra on this one) and \
> > > MacPorts 2.6.3 is likely as far as it will go.
>
> I successfully installed High Sierra; I needed it to drive a multi-function printer \
> that I acquired.

The pressures that prompt us to upgrade the O/S… :-)

FWIW I have been on High Sierra for ages, but a few days ago I was unable to upload a \
PDF document to a certain Australian Government website, with severe financial \
penalties if I failed to provide the document within 3 weeks. Apple's Telephone \
Support and I figured out a workaround (an image of the document in JPG format), but \
their chief recommendation was to upgrade to Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur, to take \
advantage of major upgrades to Safari… Actually I use Firefox, but I think it has \
to go via Safari for some functions… I had to temporarily switch to Safari to prove \
to Apple Support that the problem is not in Firefox.

Cheers,
Ian Wadham.=