List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Fixing source-code bugs using MacPorts facilities.
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2020-07-28 10:06:21

On Jul 27, 2020, at 01:53, Ian Wadham wrote:

> I'm just saying that I can execute the file \
> 'work/destroot/Applications/MacPorts/…/kpat' instead of \
> ‘/Applications/MacPorts/…/kpat' — at the command-line of course.

That executable may link with libraries installed by the port. If so, the executable \
would probably use the libraries at their installed location, not at their destroot \
location. If you have an old version of the libraries installed, that might cause \
problems. If you don't have the port installed at all, you'll get library not found \
errors. The application may also look for other data files at their installed \
location. All things considered, it's less problematic to install the port and then \
use the installed files.