List:       macports-users
Subject:    =?utf-8?Q?Re=3A_Migration_Woes_-_Can=E2=80=99t_Install_Xcode_Comm?= =?utf-8?Q?and_Line_Tools?=
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2019-07-12 15:43:18

On Jul 12, 2019, at 01:58, Michael Newman wrote:

> This on a 2010 MBA that I only visit once a month. This visit I finally bit the \
> bullet and upgraded from Mavericks to High Sierra. That upgrade wasn't flawless, \
> but it's working. I also installed a compatible version of Xcode from the App \
> Store.  Now I'm stuck trying to install the command line tools. Earlier today I \
> kept getting network errors and now every time I try it gets stuck on "Finding \
> Software".
> I have not yet installed the appropriate version of MacPorts nor have I uninstalled \
> my installed ports. (They all seem to be working.)
> I'll only be here a few more days, but I hesitate to proceed until I install the \
> command line tools.
> What should I do if I'm unable to install the command line tools before I go back \
> home?
> ====
>
> Aside: To be honest, it's not clear to me if I have to separately install the \
> command line tools if I have already done a full install of Xcode. The migration \
> instructions say: "After a major system change, update the development tools by \
> ​installing the latest version of Xcode. Open the Xcode application once after \
> installation and follow any prompts. Install the command line tools package as well \
> (run xcode-select --install)."
> This implies that you need to install the command line tools separately from Xcode.
>
> But, when you run Xcode-select —install, the resulting dialog seems to indicate \
> that installing Xcode also installs the command line tools.
> I remain confused.

Because of changes that Apple made starting with macOS Mojave, some work was put into \
MacPorts to make it work with only an Xcode installation, so that a command line \
tools installation was not also necessary. So having just Xcode should work in most \
cases.

However if you previously had both Xcode and the command line tools installed before \
upgrading macOS, then after upgrading macOS you should upgrade both Xcode and the \
command line tools. Upgrading only one or the other will leave you with a mismatch \
which could cause problems.

`xcode-select --install` presents you with a dialog box through which you can \
initiate either an installation of Xcode or an installation of the command line \
tools. If you want to do both, initiate `xcode-select --install` a second time after \
you've finished doing the first one.

If for some reason the download via `xcode-select` isn't working, you can download \
both from https://developer.apple.com/download/more/