List:       macports-users
Subject:    =?utf-8?Q?Migration_Woes_-_Can=E2=80=99t_Install_Xcode_Command_L?= =?utf-8?Q?ine_Tools?=
From:       Michael Newman via macports-users <macports-users () lists ! macports ! org>
Date:       2019-07-12 6:58:00

This on a 2010 MBA that I only visit once a month. This visit I finally bit the \
bullet and upgraded from Mavericks to High Sierra. That upgrade wasn't flawless, but \
it's working. I also installed a compatible version of Xcode from the App Store.  Now \
I'm stuck trying to install the command line tools. Earlier today I kept getting \
network errors and now every time I try it gets stuck on "Finding Software".

I have not yet installed the appropriate version of MacPorts nor have I uninstalled \
my installed ports. (They all seem to be working.)

I'll only be here a few more days, but I hesitate to proceed until I install the \
command line tools.

What should I do if I'm unable to install the command line tools before I go back \
home?

====

Aside: To be honest, it's not clear to me if I have to separately install the command \
line tools if I have already done a full install of Xcode. The migration instructions \
say: "After a major system change, update the development tools by ​installing the \
latest version of Xcode. Open the Xcode application once after installation and \
follow any prompts. Install the command line tools package as well (run xcode-select \
--install)."

This implies that you need to install the command line tools separately from Xcode.

But, when you run Xcode-select —install, the resulting dialog seems to indicate \
that installing Xcode also installs the command line tools.

I remain confused.

Mike Newman
Korat, Thailand

--