List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: 10.5 Leopard and 64bit support
From:       Riccardo Mottola via macports-users <macports-users () lists ! macports ! org>
Date:       2019-07-02 14:58:00

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> The default MacPorts build_arch on Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 on Intel Macs is i386 \
> (32-bit). If you want 64-bit, you can edit build_arch in macports.conf to be \
> x86_64. On 10.5 this will probably work fine. On 10.4 it is less likely to work \
> well since IIRC many Mac OS X libraries weren't 64-bit yet.
> The default MacPorts universal_archs on 10.4 and 10.5 is i386 ppc. If you want i386 \
> x86_64, or even i386 x86_64 ppc, you can edit universal_archs in macports.conf.
> If you make a change to these archs, it would be best if you uninstalled all ports \
> first. MacPorts isn't designed to detect changes in these values, so if you change \
> them, MacPorts won't know that it should rebuild dependencies.

forgot to answer - thanks. That is what I was looking for. I removed PPC
added 64bit intel and go!

Now I am delving in the typical issues where "bootstrapping" a wokging
compiler set and dev tools on Leopard is not that easy, I asked Ken but
will ask more on the list if I remain stuck

I have installed successfully clang 3.4 and sow nice 64bit processes in
the meanwhile!

Now I am biting my teeth on glib2 which is a clang 3.9 dependency.

Riccardo