List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: compilers on Lion
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2018-09-12 6:51:27

On Sep 11, 2018, at 01:34, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > A list of all available variables/keywords, with a description.
> >
> > Yup, that's supposed to be what's in the guide and the manpage.
>
> I see that the guide contains much more details; hopefully, the
> transition to AsciiDoc will yield a uniform output again in the near
> future.

Converting the guide from docbook xml to asciidoc (and converting the remaining \
manpages to asciidoc) will make them easier to edit, but won't automatically cause \
information that's in one document to appear in another; someone still needs to \
manually do that.

> > There are also many portgroups (similar concept to include files
> > in C), which, when included into a port, may add new variables or
> > keywords of their own.  About half of the portgroups are documented
> > in the guide.
>
> And it would be great if the other half gets added too.  Speaking as
> the FreeType maintainer, it costs me an incredible amount of time to
> document the stuff I'm going to add or change – progress in FreeType
> is thus quite slow since the non-programming tasks are so huge...

Yes, it would be great if the remaining portgroups were documented. It would be great \
if most of the guide were rewritten, in fact. But as you say it will take an \
incredible amount of time. I've wished for years that I could find the time to do it, \
but I haven't, and nobody else has stepped up to do it either.