List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: macOS Sierra / 10.12 support - where are we?
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2016-09-22 11:32:56

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 2:18 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv@macports.org> wrote:
> > > I recall Ryan mentioning that he was doing so.
> >
> > I think that was just for Python modules.
> >
> No, the one I recall was yesterday immediately after Apple released Sierra, and \
> specifically said he was kicking the buildbots to get Sierra builds going.

We've had a buildbot worker set up for Sierra since shortly after Apple released the \
Sierra GM on September 7. Any ports added or updated since then have already been \
built and packaged there, assuming the builds were successful. I've also manually \
kicked off several builds: some compilers, lots of libraries, all the python modules.

As of right now, we have packages for the following numbers of ports:

$ for DARWIN in $(seq 9 16); do printf "darwin_$DARWIN: " && find \
/opt/local/var/rsync/macports/packages -name "*darwin_$DARWIN*.rmd160" | cut -d / -f \
                8 | sort -u | wc -l; done
darwin_9:     3577
darwin_10:    15334
darwin_11:    12955
darwin_12:    16013
darwin_13:    16203
darwin_14:    19415
darwin_15:    12546
darwin_16:     4948

I'm not kicking off a build of "all" ports yet, because we've never tested that on \
our new buildbot configuration. I don't know if it would work at all; don't know if \
we brought over the necessary parts of the old config that knew what to do when the \
port name "all" was provided. We also haven't finished bringing over optimizations \
from the old setup that allowed the previous builds of all ports to complete in \
"only" several weeks. Specifically, we still need the optimization that tells the \
buildbot to skip builds of already-installed ports. Without those optimizations, \
trying to build all ports would just take too long. We also still need build failure \
emails to be sending correctly, so that maintainers will know about failures and can \
look into them. I'm working on that now.

Developers are welcome to kick off builds they think would be helpful, by logging in \
here and filling in the name of the port(s) in the "port list" field:

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.12_x86_64-watcher

It's probably best not to try to build more than 100 ports at a time. And please try \
to verify beforehand that the ports you're triggering builds of have not already been \
built.

Developers with commit access who don't yet have access to log in to the buildbot may \
request access by emailing me.