List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Unable to read CDs
From:       Paul Rands <paul0075r () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-04-03 9:19:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

A fix for this does sound way over my head at the moment. Might just
have to stick with a VM and use flow thru settings to access the drive.

Paul Rands
paul0075r@gmail.com

On 3/04/2016 03:21 , Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Michael <keybounce@gmail.com
> <mailto:keybounce@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2016-04-02, at 6:15 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com
>     <mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 3:55 AM, Paul Rands <paul0075r@gmail.com
>     <mailto:paul0075r@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > > It is a music cataloging program called Tellico, and is a KDE
>     app. Apart from not being > able to open up a CD / DVD drive, it
>     works flawlessly.
>     >
>     > The Finder "owns" the CD/DVD drive; you would have to disable
>     Finder support for the drive to be able to use it directly instead
>     of via OS X services.
>
>     How do you disable Finder's ownership of the DVD drive?
>

> You can;t turn it off completely without disabling all automounting,
> as I understand it.
> You can do it as a one-shot by using "diskutil list" to see what
> device (diskN) the DVD is (this is dynamic and will depend on what
> other fixed and removable media is mounted) and then "diskutil unmint
> diskN" to unmount it; the automount stuff will then ignore the drive
> until you are done with it and either "diskutil mount" or "diskutil
> eject" it.
>
>     Why does Finder own it?
>     What service/benefit does Finder provide by owning it?
>

> Automounting, primarily. Opening Finder windows when you insert a CD
> or DVD.
>
>     And how then does Disk Utility do it's stuff?
>

> Uses OS X services to release the drive, as I mentioned earlier.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery kf8nh sine nomine associates
> allbery.b@gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com>
> ballbery@sinenomine.net <mailto:ballbery@sinenomine.net>
> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad http://sinenomine.net

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

  <head>
  </head>
    Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.<br>
    A fix for this does sound way over my head at the moment. Might just
    have to stick with a VM and use flow thru settings to access the
    drive.<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Paul Rands
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="mailto:paul0075r@gmail.com">paul0075r@gmail.com</a></pre>  <div \
class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/04/2016 03:21 , Brandon Allbery  wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAKFCL4XA0A2wr7TzmhGrF3qiNZdm18h7oJdROwV_v553GWxGhQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
            Michael <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:keybounce@gmail.com" \
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span
                class="">
                On 2016-04-02, at 6:15 AM, Brandon Allbery &lt;<a
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com"><a \
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
                &gt; On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 3:55 AM, Paul Rands &lt;<a
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:paul0075r@gmail.com"><a \
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
                &gt; &gt; It is a music cataloging program called
                Tellico, and is a KDE app. Apart from not being &gt;
                able to open up a CD / DVD drive, it works flawlessly.<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; The Finder "owns" the CD/DVD drive; you would have
                to disable Finder support for the drive to be able to
                use it directly instead of via OS X services.<br>
              drive?<br>
              automounting, as I understand it.</div>
              see what device (diskN) the DVD is (this is dynamic and
              will depend on what other fixed and removable media is
              mounted) and then "diskutil unmint diskN" to unmount it;
              the automount stuff will then ignore the drive until you
              are done with it and either "diskutil mount" or "diskutil
              eject" it.</div>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Why does
              Finder own it?<br>
              What service/benefit does Finder provide by owning it?<br>
              you insert a CD or DVD.</div>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              And how then does Disk Utility do it's stuff?<br>
          Uses OS X services to release the drive, as I mentioned
          earlier.<br clear="all">
          -- <br>
                sine nomine associates</div>
                  href="mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com" \