List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Questions for installing openmpi on Os X 10.9.5
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2016-02-26 1:58:06

On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Eric A. Borisch wrote:

> This isn't quite "normal" -- at least not anymore (thanks to binary packages.)
>
> At the top of the log you posted, you will note that it warned you (now that you \
> have updated the macports software to the new base version) to:
> Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by \
> running 'port selfupdate'.
> If that had been done, you would have been trying to grab newer versions of \
> packages  (like gcc48, and llvm35, and perl, etc.) from packages.macports.org, \
> which would have succeeded for many of them. (The port tree you had looks like it \
> is late 2014 / early 2015 vintage based on the gcc48 version. (I'm not sure why it \
> didn't update the port tree after it updated your binaries, perhaps others can \
> comment on that -- it would certainly seem like that would be "the right thing to \
> do.")
> Instead, you (successfully, which is a good sign) downloaded and locally compiled \
> all of the dependencies for OpenMPI, which includes llvm and gcc compilations, \
> which do take a very long time, indeed. So you got much more for your time than \
> just the OpenMPI wrappers and libraries. ;)
> So. Good news and bad news. Run a 'sudo port selfupdate' (like the tool suggested) \
> and then 'sudo port upgrade outdated'. Unfortunately many of the ports that were \
> installed will have new versions. Luckily, most of them should download \
> pre-compiled binaries now rather than locally compile.

If you run selfupdate, and MacPorts base is updated to a new version (which is what \
happened here: 2.3.1 was updated to 2.3.4), then the ports don't get properly \
updated, because it's possible that the updated ports would be using new features \
introduced in the new version of MacPorts to which you just updated, and would \
therefore fail to be parsed properly with the old still-running version of MacPorts. \
This used to happen with old versions of MacPorts, which is why in the current \
version, it doesn't try to update the ports anymore after a successful selfupdate to \
a new version, and instead quits after prints a message advising the user to run \
selfupdate a second time.

All the binaries that can exist for Mountain Lion and later are on the packages \
server now (I've been re-running builds of all ports over the past few days to catch \
any packages that were missed before), so if you selfupdate now, you should get \
binary packages in most cases.