List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: selfupdate fails
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2015-08-18 1:50:28

On Aug 17, 2015, at 8:35 PM, Michael David Crawford wrote:

> On Monday, August 17, 2015, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Yes, you can change what servers MacPorts uses:
> >
> > https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors
> >
> > If you can set up an rsync server on your network, and that server can connect to \
> > our master server via rsync to mirror its contents, then that could work.
>
> The people who maintain the firewall or would set up the server may not have a clue \
> about the Macintosh, let alone MacPorts.
> The required managerial sign-off may not have a clue about computers of any sort.  \
> I have even seen this at Apple and Microsoft.  You could facilitate their sign-off \
> by providing a PDF with an executive summart;  MacPorts fans could send them via \
> Internal snail mail to corporate.

Note that no understanding of MacPorts or OS X is required. I don't think any of the \
MacPorts servers (except the buildbot builders), nor any of the mirrors, are running \
on OS X. All that's required is the ability to set up an rsync server, configure it \
to allow your internal users to access it using the rsync protocol, and allow it to \
access our server using the rsync protocol, and configure a recurring task (i.e. cron \
job) to periodically mirror the information from whichever categories of our server \
are desired (MacPorts base source code; portfiles source code; source distfiles; \
precompiled binary archives). There is an email we've prepared in response to \
questions about how to set up mirror servers, which I can send to you, if you want to \
go that route. Ideally we would put this information in the public wiki, we just \
haven't done that yet.

If setting up an internal server is not desired, it's not necessary, you just won't \
be able to use the selfupdate command, because the selfupdate command requires the \
ability to connect to an rsync server. In the absence of that ability, you can do \
both of the following:

1. configure MacPorts to sync from http or https tarball or Subversion repository and \
periodically run "sudo port sync" to update the portfiles; and 2. whenever a new \
version of MacPorts is released, download it from our web site and install it.