List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: github source
From:       "René_J.V._Bertin" <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-22 13:49:17

On Apr 22, 2013, at 15:15, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Given that git mirrors already exist:
> http://www.macosforge.org/post/git-mirrors/
> it is a trivial task to create a mirror on github as well.

Maybe, but what's the point in making yet another copy? Github may have a nice \
interface, but IMHO you could just as well set up a good GUI git client like \
SourceTree to one of the existing mirrors, no?

> basis and hope that it will eventually be applied. While git cannot
> solve bad project management per se, the need to resubmit patches
> would basically vanish with git. In most cases git would do the right
> thing with an old patch automatically.)

In my experience that still requires a regular git fetch origin + git rebase origin + \
git format-patch origin by the patch maintainer, because behind the scenes git still \
uses diff and patch (from what I know), and those are not omnipotent. I've already \
stumbled across that at least twice with a set of rather simple patches to FFmpeg \
that I had to complete manually (note that maybe I'd have had to do the same had I \
rebased more often!)

R.