List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Using Macports to distribute custom software?
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2012-05-31 20:00:36

On May 29, 2012, at 04:40, Tomáš Znamenáček wrote:

> We have some in-house tools I'd like to distribute to our machines. It seems to me \
> like a good idea to use Macports for this, ie. create a custom package with our \
> tools, upload it on our server and add the server into sources.conf. The Macports \
> support is nearly there, at least the support for local portfile repositories looks \
> quite promising for what I need.
> My questions: 1) Can I simply add another rsync:// line before the macports.org \
> one, will the ports get picked up by the local Macports installation? And more \
> importantly, 2) is it possible to somehow switch to rsync over ssh for this one \
> source? I can't use regular rsync as we can't let strangers install our custom \
> tools.

Yes it should be possible to use MacPorts to install custom private ports you've \
written. I do so on my system.

There are two aspects: 1) MacPorts needs to know where to get the portfiles. To do \
this you enter the location into sources.conf. MacPorts can retrieve portfiles using \
rsync (tarball or individual files), http/https (tarball) or svn (individual files). \
I'm not sure if any of these methods support username/password authentication. You \
could try it out (put the username/password into the URL in sources.conf) and see if \
it works. I'm not aware of any support in MacPorts for rsync with ssh. You mentioned \
these machines being in-house. If that means they are on a private network, then you \
can host the portfiles on a server that's also on that private network. That way \
nobody outside your network can access them, even if there's no username / password \
protection.

Even if unauthorized users could get your portfiles, they wouldn't do them any good \
unless they also had the second aspect: 2) the distfiles containing the source code \
to be compiled. Presumably you should definitely host these on a server only \
authorized users can access. MacPorts can retrieve distfiles va http/https or ftp, or \
can download source from git, hg, bzr, svn or cvs, optionally with username / \
password authentication (which you would hardcode into the portfile).