List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Perl-Tk Make Error
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2010-12-20 6:35:32

On Dec 19, 2010, at 23:20, Kingsley Oteng-Amoako wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > On Dec 19, 2010, at 22:17, Kingsley Oteng-Amoako wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to install Perl Tk on my MacBook Pro. I downloaded Tk-804.029 on my \
> > > pac and followed the following process, cd Tk-804.029
> > > perl Makefile.PL
> > > make
> > > make test
> > > sudo make install
> > >
> > > However after typing the second set of commands, I get a series of errors after \
> > > the make attempt. The errors were, make[3]: *** [libpng12_la-png.lo] Error 1
> > > make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> > > make[1]: *** [libpng/libpng.a] Error 2
> > > make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
> >
> > The actual error message would have been on a line earlier than that, so you \
> > would need to supply more of the log to know what went wrong.
>
> Below is the previous error plus the couple of lines that occur before the error,
>
> gcc-4.2   -arch x86_64 -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -pipe -fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN \
> -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include   -DUSE_MMAP   -c -o inffast.o inffast.c \
> ar rc libz.a adler32.o compress.o crc32.o gzio.o uncompr.o deflate.o trees.o \
>                 zutil.o inflate.o infback.o inftrees.o inffast.o
> ar: libz.a is a fat file (use libtool(1) or lipo(1) and ar(1) on it)
> ar: libz.a: Inappropriate file type or format
> make[2]: *** [libz.a] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [zlib/libz.a] Error 2
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

The error you showed previously was for libpng.a; this error is for libz.a. Probably \
similar though. It looks like Perl-Tk has an included copy of zlib, libpng and jpeg \
that it will build if it cannot find one on your system. And it looks like you (or \
the build system) requested the build happen for three architectures: x86_64, i386 \
and ppc. And the build system does not support fat libraries, because it tries to run \
"ar rc" on them, which you can't run on fat files. You would need to change the \
Makefile to run "ar rcs" instead, I think. But it would be better to use separate \
up-to-date zlib, libpng, and jpeg libraries, such as the ones provided by MacPorts. \
And then it would be better to use the p5-tk port since it already knows how to do \
that.

In MacPorts, I'm able to build p5-tk, unless I deactivate my zlib, libpng and jpeg \
ports, in which case I get an error when trying to build the included libpng. A \
different error, but also related to using multiple -arch flags. So p5-tk needs \
dependencies on those ports, which I have now added:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/74521

> > > Does anyone have suggestions on how to make the file and/or what might be \
> > > causing the error?
> >
> > Is this the same as the software that's in the p5-tk port? If so, you should \
> > install that port, rather than trying to build it by hand.
>
> I am actually installing TK as it is need for a Latex Packet manager tlmgr. So \
> assuming TK was installed properly, the gui for the packet manager would be started \
> as,
> tlmgr gui
>
> Do you still think it would suffice to simply install the port, given I am using it \
> for tlmgr?

As a rule, I prefer to install software with MacPorts, since it means someone else \
has already figured out the details of how to do that on Mac OS X and I wouldn't for \
example generally run into surprises like the ones you're now running into. However, \
I have no idea how tlmgr works, or how it finds its perl binary or modules. If \
possible, you would need to tell tlmgr to use the perl installed by MacPorts in \
/opt/local/bin/perl, or add MacPorts perl's module paths to the perl that tlmgr uses.