List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: libjit errors
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2010-08-31 0:52:01

On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:24, Balint Joo wrote:

> I've been trying to install the libJIT port. (MacPorts 1.9.1), the OS is MacOS X \
> 10.6.4. My first attempt wanted to install libjit-0.0.6, and failed with a checksum \
> error. I posted this as a bug on the trac site: \
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26080
> A short email conversation suggested that the latest version is 0.1.2 as indeed
> confirmed by 'port livecheck':
>
> libjit seems to have been updated (port version: 0.0.6, new version: 0.1.2)
>
> Attempting to install the latest version with
>
> port install libjit version=0.1.2

This does nothing; MacPorts does not have the ability to install an arbitrary version \
of software specified on the command line; you can only install the version specified \
in the Portfile. You can also convince it to install an older version for which a \
Portfile has existed in the past; for that, see:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

> Also failed for me with checksum errors. I tried following the HOWTO about
> upgrading packages (namely, edit the portfile, bump the version to 0.1.2,
> and then run port -d checksum to get the new checksums). Now the install
> gets past the download and checksum stage and fails in the configure....
>
> According to the log:
> > info:configure sh: line 0: cd: \
> > /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_libjit/work/libjit-0.1.2: \
> > No such file or directory
>
> Indeed if I look there is only a:
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_libjit/work
>  and the only file in it is: .macports.libjit.state

The problem you're running into is that the download location listed in the portfile \
is on a domain name whose registration was allowed to lapse and was acquired by a \
domain name squatter. Their server is configured to deliver an HTML advertisement \
regardless what URL you request. So even when you request the URL of a software \
distfile, they will return to you this HTML page instead of an error. MacPorts 1.9.2 \
will have a better error message in this case advising you of this problem. The \
checksums you computed when you updated the port were of this HTML page. MacPorts \
then tried to extract the HTML page as if it were a distfile, which of course doesn't \
work. Due to another bug, MacPorts does not detect errors when extracting a distfile \
and proceeds on to the configure phase anyway, which then failed because the \
configure script was not found. Indeed, as you discovered, no files were found, \
because nothing could be extracted.

I found where the software is now being hosted (GNU), and updated the port to version \
0.1.2. Unfortunately it does not compile and I don't know how to make it compile at \
the moment. I filed a ticket with my findings so far:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26295

If someone else can complete this update, please do.

> This has been frustrating me for some time.
>
> Can someone please help with a concise
> way of how to get the latest versions of the ports, libjit in particular?

I don't think I can offer you any general-purpose advice, beyond what you already \
know (update the version and checksums in the portfile). Each piece of software is \
unique and often needs its own tweaks when being updated. Sometimes, as may be the \
case for libjit, we must contact the developers of the software for assistance if we \
cannot get it to compile.

> (I am having similar issues also trying to install Intel TBB v3.0. The default \
> package is v2.2 but livecheck claims a more recent one...)

The tbb port at least has a maintainer, so hopefully he will respond to the existing \
tickets about his port:

http://trac.macports.org/query?status=!closed&summary=~tbb

The port is also openmaintainer so anybody else with commit access can feel free to \
try to fix it.