List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Problem creating RPM Binary Packages that work..
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2010-08-27 3:44:36

On Aug 26, 2010, at 21:12, John Puffs wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > On Aug 25, 2010, at 12:03, John Puffs wrote:
> >
> > > I actually thought the macports package you built actually packed up all the \
> > > dependencies as well. I was wrong. It would be an easy one click install for \
> > > some things then.
> >

> > MacPorts can do that, for example if you "sudo port mpkg someport" it will create \
> > an mpkg containing someport and all its dependencies. However mpkg is a format \
> > used only by Apple's Installer, so this only works on Mac OS X.
>
> Will that work with "sudo port rpm someport", etc as well?

I'm not sure; I've never used an RPM, produced by MacPorts or otherwise. I thought \
you said you already tried it and it didn't work, in which case it works rather like \
"port pkg" (instead of "port mpkg") and includes only that port (instead of that port \
and its dependencies).

Reading "man port" just now, I see we also have "port srpm", which makes a source \
RPM, not a binary RPM; that might have a greater chance of working on Linux after \
having been packaged on a Mac. But you're still sailing in pretty much totally \
uncharted waters. And a lot of port authors write their ports to assume they are \
running on a Mac, and so will apply patches or other changes that are Mac specific \
without checking what platform they're actually on. Such ports could possibly be \
fixed to e.g. apply that patch only inside a "platform darwin" block.