List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: after update poppler's dependents referencing incorrect version 6
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2010-08-24 20:59:11

On Aug 24, 2010, at 14:50, Trevor Bain wrote:

> Just before you answered I took the wrong route then and did "sudo
> port uninstall -dcu --follow-dependents poppler" (for my only
> texlive-bin is using it). I have been reluctant to do this since it's
> a several hour install.
>
> It would have been much quicker to just do "sudo port uninstall -f
> texlive-bin" ... I'll try that in the future.

Single-letter arguments must immediately follow "port" so the above would have been \
"sudo port -dcu uninstall --follow-dependents poppler" and "sudo port -f uninstall \
texlive-bin". Also you don't need to force uninstall, then reinstall something; if \
you just want to rebuild it, you can "sudo port -n upgrade --force texlive-bin" all \
in one step.

> I'm not offended - just frustrated. I realize that Tickets need to be
> answered quickly and even legitimate tickets that are off topic (or
> mislabeled) need to be closed. It was just frustrating to have the
> ticket closed and then have the thing that I said didn't work dictated
> as the answer.

The answer is that you need to rebuild the ports that use poppler. The changeset you \
indicated in your ticket should have caused MacPorts to realize that it needed to \
rebuild these ports (i.e. should have been displayed in "port outdated" and upgraded \
by "sudo port upgrade outdated"). We do not understand why that did not work in your \
case. You can manually rebuild the port(s) affected using e.g. "sudo port -n upgrade \
--force texlive-bin"

As to what a changeset is or how to see what it contains, you can click the text \
"r70558" in the ticket you filed to be taken to \
http://trac.macports.org/changeset/70558 which shows you what's in the changeset. If \
we're talking about changesets that affect portfiles (i.e. changes made in the \
trunk/dports directory) then "sudo port sync" or "sudo port selfupdate" retrieves \
these to your machine (with up to a half hour delay).