List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: jupytext port build cannot find jlpm
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2024-03-12 18:12:06

On Mar 12, 2024, at 10:00, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

> command not found: jlpm
>
> Recommendations for how to resolve this issue?

One solution is to figure out where this program is being called in the source code, \
then patch it to use the program name as it appears in MacPorts (e.g. in this case to \
add the python version to the end).

> Is there a way to set an alias during the build phase?
>
> alias jlpm="jlpm-${python.branch}"

I can't recall seeing a port that sets a shell alias so that may not be possible.

Some ports do create a directory in workpath (e.g. ${workpath}/bin), then create \
symlinks in there having the desired names, and add ${workpath}/bin to PATH. But \
that's probably not needed in this case since you already have a directory that \
contains the files with the desired names (below).

> Or add "${prefix}/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/${python.branch}/bin" \
> to the path? I haven't been successful implementing either approach.

You can find examples of how to do that by running:

port file all|sort -u|xargs grep '\sPATH='

Note that you want ${frameworks_dir}; don't assume its value is \
${prefix}/Library/Frameworks

> I've been wondering if it is worth the trouble to create and maintain ports for \
> some of these python packages. These days they are often using advanced \
> python-internal build tools that are difficult to configure, while `pip install \
> <package>` often just works. By comparison, there is a port for Julia but none of \
> its packages, instead relying entirely on Julia's package manager. I'm curious \
> about the thoughts of others on this matter.

I don't think it's been the intention to add all python modules to MacPorts. Rather, \
we add modules that are dependencies of other ports or are useful on their own \
(especially if requested by a user).

The python portgroup was enhanced to support many of the new build systems. Check out \
the python.pep517_backend option.