List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: revision control downloads
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2022-03-24 1:44:59

On Mar 23, 2022, at 16:31, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 22/03/2022 22.23, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> > As I said we do already and have for a long time strongly discouraged using \
> > revision control systems for downloads.
>
> As these days most web frontends allow to download a tarball, we could
> also think about discouraging fetching from VCS completely.

Obviously wherever that option exists we should be using it already. The github \
portgroup for example makes that easy to do for projects hosted at GitHub.

There are many ports that fetch from git because they need git submodules (as you \
mentioned), which those automatically-generated tarballs do not include. Ideally the \
developers of those projects would provide release downloads; if they do, we should \
obviously be using those (e.g. with the github portgroup's "github.tarball_from \
releases").

Some projects have complicated build processes which include fetching from git \
somewhere in them. Aseprite is an example of that.

Some git hosting providers seem to be unable to provide reproducible tarball download \
capability, despite the fact that GitHub and others have been able to. \
GoogleSource.com is an example. See https://github.com/google/gitiles/issues/84