List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: How to set @macports up e-mail alias?
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2020-03-19 2:54:47

On Mar 17, 2020, at 16:40, Fred Wright wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> > > Are we talking about adding a new committer to the project, or an
> > > existing committer who doesn't have a working @macports.org email alias
> > > for some reason?
> > >
> > > If the former, they need to apply to PortMgr as documented at
> > > <https://guide.macports.org/chunked/project.membership.html>.
> > >
> > > If the latter, email <admin@macports.org> and the infrastructure team
> > > should be able to help.
> >
> > Josh's answer is correct if you were asking about how to configure what email \
> > address your @macports.org alias forwards to.
> > But if you were asking how to get Git to associate your commits with your \
> > @macports.org email address, then instructions for that are here:
> > https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#setup
>
> And *those* instructions are probably not correct if you use git for anything other \
> than MacPorts, assuming that you don't want to use your MacPorts alias for \
> non-MacPorts uses.
> There are both global and per-repo settings in git.  In the general case, one would \
> use the per-repo settings for the MacPorts-related repo(s). It's the same commands \
> without the --global, but while cd'ed to the relevant repo(s).

That's a good point. I forgot that our page tells users to edit the global setting. I \
didn't do that on my own system; I just changed individual MacPorts repos as I cloned \
them. (Though I did also forget to do so a few times, and consequently made several \
commits with the wrong address.) We should probably advise users to configure their \
clones of their MacPorts repos this way, not change the global setting. Anyone can \
edit the wiki to improve the instructions.