List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: problem with new multiple startupitems
From:       Joshua Root <jmr () macports ! org>
Date:       2018-06-04 0:12:38

On 2018-6-4 00:31 , macports@parvis.nl wrote:

> > On 2018-06-03, at 16:05, Joshua Root <jmr@macports.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2018-6-3 23:53 , macports@parvis.nl wrote:
> > > startipitems \
> > > name testit \
> > > executable sudo -u paul /usr/local/bin/testit
> >
> > Should be:
> >
> > startupitems \
> > name testit \
> > executable "sudo -u paul /usr/local/bin/testit"
> >
> > List elements are separated by whitespace, so if an element should
> > contain whitespace, it needs to be quoted.
> >
> > - Josh
>
> I understand.
>
> I took the version without quotes from existing ports like pserv, that uses the old \
> startupitem. Is this something like string versus list?

It's something of a Tcl motto that "everything is a string". It's a
difference of interpretation: when you set startupitem.executable,
you're only setting one value, so multiple arguments are taken to be
parts of a single string. When you set the startupitems option, the
arguments are interpreted as alternating keys and values.

- Josh