List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: Ports with default modeline & lots of mixed tabs with spaces
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2018-02-28 13:58:16

On Feb 28, 2018, at 02:42, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I sometimes stumble across ports which contain our default modeline
> (claiming the Portfile should not use tabs) and then a weird mixture
> of tabs and spaces all over the place.
>
> When there is no maintainer, I would always fix such a port. I once
> did it for a maintained port as well, just to see a commit immediately
> after that reverting my changes, ending up in tab-space mixture again.
>
> I agree that it's a bad habit to change the number of spaces in
> someone else's port, but what's our policy for ports that contain a
> mixture of tabs & spaces *and* the modeline? I now leave such ports
> intact, but it's hurting my eyes.

I wouldn't completely change the whitespace of someone else's port, even after a \
maintainer timeout. But I would correct whitespace mistakes in someone else's port \
after a suitable timeout.

So, for maintained ports that include the standard modeline (which states that the \
file indents using spaces) but which contain some rogue tabs, I'd handle it the same \
as any other change to a maintained port. File a ticket or PR, and if no maintainer \
response within 72 hours, it's ok to commit a fix.

For maintained ports consistently using tabs and having no modeline (or a modeline \
that says it uses tabs, but I don't know if we have any of those), I'd leave it to \
the maintainer. It's fine to request they change from tabs to spaces, but if they \
don't want to, or they don't respond, I wouldn't change it.=