List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: GSoC 2018 Project: Improve startupitem code
From:       Joshua Root <jmr () macports ! org>
Date:       2018-02-14 14:45:17

On 2018-2-14 22:11 , Umesh Singla wrote:
> For any discussions on this project, we can follow this thread. I am
> cc'ing dev list if anyone has any question or idea or extension to it.
>
> > The first thing I would like you to do is to go through our current list of \
> > projects on Trac [0].
> > Try adding/updating the descriptions for your projects or let me know. Remove \
> > anything which is outdated. As you probably know, you can also propose a new \
> > idea.
> > Also, is there any project which you would like me to move up on the list? \
> > Currently, there are two projects on the list, "Improve startupitem code" and \
> > "Generating Portfiles" listing you as a potential mentor.
>

> I’d love to see the startup item code more closely mirror the
> capabilities of launchd :)
>
> It would be able great to write some short hand in a portfile that
> builds an xml launchd plist.
>

> That's good to know. I've moved this project up the list.

Just a heads-up, I have been reviewing all the tickets about
startupitems recently (after having ideas percolate for a long time) and
have just started committing code. I may close most or all of the
existing tickets in the not too distant future.

No doubt there is still more that could be done; just be aware this work
is happening when planning any potential GSoC project.

- Josh