List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Boost / NumPy / libpsl Cyclic Dependency Fix Option
From:       Michael Dickens <michaelld () macports ! org>
Date:       2018-02-13 14:27:11

Hi David (& MacPorts developers) - Yesterday, py*-numpy was added as a depe=
ndency of Boost (in order to make sure boost.numpy is built knowingly), whi=
ch created a cyclic dependency: boost -> py27-numpy -> gcc7 -> cctools -> l=
lvm-5.0 -> cmake -> curl -> libpsl -> gtk-doc -> source-highlight -> boost.=
 The obvious places to create a subport are in boost (boost-numpy) and libp=
sl (libpsl-docs). Neither boost nor libpsl allows building just the subport=
 parts; we have to build the whole port then discard the extra cruft. The g=
reater discussion is documented in < https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55807=
 >, and I added you on CC yesterday as well as am writing this email top th=
e greater MacPorts developers group. I added an attachment patch that creat=
es the subport libpsl-docs in the libpsl Portfile, and it works nicely for =
me on my various test computers & I hope others try it out as well & give f=
eedback. Given that it takes maybe a minute or 2 max to build libpsl -- as =
opposed to many minutes to build Boost -- I'm inclined to push my libpsl-do=
cs subport as a quick fix to the problem. We can then work on a better solu=
tion if folks wish to do so. Although the libpsl port is openmaintainer, th=
is is a significant change so I'd value your feedback on how to proceed -- =
as well as feedback from the greater MacPorts developer community. Thanks! =
- MLD