List:       macports-dev
Subject:    port:libcxx : use via DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-10-27 20:37:32

Hi,

I've built and been testing the libraries from port:libcxx 3.7.1 for a while now, on \
OS X 10.9.5 . I didn't take the completely adventurous approach; instead, I copied \
them into a new directory (/opt/lib) and wrote a little wrapper script that inserts \
them before loading any application.

I would expect these libraries to be backwards compatible, so that C++ apps built \
on/for an older OS still run on a newer OS. Indeed, most applications run fine; \
either identically or without the dynamic_cast errors that I see with some KDE \
software on 10.9 .

However, a few applications don't run (properly) at all, or crash. QtWebEngine 5.7 \
crashes with memory allocation errors, and Opera fails to render pages. Both are \
based on Chromium. Does anyone know if this is to be expected?

R.