List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: Portfile for binary only install
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2016-05-31 7:27:25

On May 27, 2016, at 4:31 PM, Sean wrote:

> Looking to create a portfile for a package that only distributes pre-compiled \
> binaries.
> In this case, package.tbz expands to:
>
> package
> └─ bin/
> └─ share/
> └─ lib/
>
> Is the most idiomatic  way to eliminate the config, build, and test phases with {}, \
> then move package/{bin,share,lib} to the correct location during destroot?

Eliminate the configure phase with "use_configure no".

Eliminate the build phase with "build {}".

The test phase is already disabled, unless you add "test.run yes" to the portfile, so \
don't add that.

If there are any libraries, make sure their install_names are fixed by using \
install_name_tool on them.

Don't forget to set supported_archs to the list of architectures the binary is built \
for, and to set configure.cxx_stdlib to the C++ stdlib the binary is built for, if it \
uses a C++ stdlib. Use "otool -L" to find out.

If the binary is distributed universal, add an empty universal variant and set \
configure.universal_archs to the list of architectures the binary is built for. Write \
code to strip out all but the requested arch, if the user did not request the \
universal variant.

The libxl port is a simply example of a port that does these things. The \
oracle-instantclient port is a more complicated example.

> I had a poke around the available PortGroups, but nothing caught my attention for \
> this.

There's no portgroup for this. There's no standard for how binaries are distributed.

An entry in the PortfileRecipes wiki page would not be a bad idea though.