List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] qt5-mac-devel -> KF5
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-17 8:49:50

On Tuesday February 17 2015 13:17:49 Ian Wadham wrote:

> > Ian installed qt5-mac-devel in conjunction with the standard qt4-mac port.
>
> No I didn't.  I deactivated qt4-mac and all of its dependents I have installed.

I know, but I presumed that you had reactivated port:qt4-mac. I think that ought to \
be possible, just as right now you ought to be able to activate qt5-mac-devel.

> 1. How do I install qt4-mac +concurrent, starting from [1]?  Trac tickets
> challenge my reading skills… ;-)

You grab the latest versions of the attachments to that ticket, and put them under \
${site-ports}/aqua/qt4-mac (everything that's not called Portfile* or *.tcl). You put \
the tcl files together with qt5-2.0.tcl . You run portindex as you know by now. Then \
it's just a matter of reinstalling qt4-mac with +concurrent and optionally +KDE \
and/or +noexceptions . If you want to avoid having to rebuild all dependent ports, \
you do

%> port destroot qt4-mac +concurrent+KDE+noexceptions
%> port install qt4-mac +concurrent+KDE+noexceptions qt4-mac-transitional \
qtchooser+qt4

That is you install the transitional subport in the same command. That'll take care \
of restoring dependencies for you (through symlinks), so even if your MacPorts \
installation will do a full rev-upgrade after an install it should find everything \
OK. Qtchooser+qt4 will install the selector mechanism that is commonly available on \
Linux, configured to use Qt4 by default. I *think* this is also something that \
dependent projects know how to use.

Note that I have never tried for now to build qt4-mac from scratch with qt5-mac-devel \
in place, but I think it should work fine.

> 2. IF I install qt4-mac +concurrent, what two values do I use for setting
> $QTDIR to pick up either qt4-mac +concurrent or qt5-mac-devel in my
> non-MacPorts development areas for KDE 4 and KF5/Frameworks?

That I don't know.  I'm still not convinced you need to use QTDIR if you build using \
qmake-qt4 or qmake-qt5 or let the projects' build systems figure out the lay of the \
land through qtchooser and/or cmake.

> I am still not convinced about your installation strategy [2]: in fact I have
> no idea where qt5-mac-devel has been installed.  There seem to be
> bits of it (links to a Library/Frameworks area) in different places under
> /opt/local.

Yes. If you do qmake-qt5 -query you'll get a nice break-down of where everything was \
installed.

> 3. Will I have to re-build all my normal KDE 4 ports as well as my KDE 4
> development areas, if I install qt4-mac +concurrent?

See under 1); not if you install qt4-mac-transitional.

> [2]
> Why cannot we install into something like /optlocal/qt4 and /opt/local/qt5,
> or ditto, but one subdir down from /opt/local?

We could. That's the approach I went for initially, until I realised that this isn't \
required (and not done on Linux either). In fact, number of things are already \
installed in locations that have the Qt version in the path; those can remain put. \
That reduces the likelihood of breaking things for dependent ports, esp. since among \
those locations you'll find places where they *can* have business.  So in the end I \
have changed as little as possible to add version specific install locations, taking \
inspiration from (again) Linux.

I suppose one could make a variant that installs all of Qt in a specific prefix (I'd \
picked /opt/local/libexec/qt{4,5} once we no longer support exclusive installation \
forms. Or a subport that sets up symlinks in such a bundled location, that might be \
more appropriate.

R.