List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts	on OS X
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-07 18:14:17

On Saturday February 07 2015 16:48:46 Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> Yes, it is at fault. Hacking our buildsystem, and then attacking us,
> because of that, is wrong.

MacPorts' overall approach is not wrong, that's what I meant. It may seem surprising \
to some that people might want to run FOSS software on a Mac (imagine an aureola over \
that word) without making it adapt perfectly to OS X guidelines but that doesn't make \
it wrong. It wouldn't still be around otherwise, with Apple's support at that. We'd \
love not to have to "hack" your build system (which doesn't strike me as the least \
complicated I've ever seen, but don't read a judgement in that), and be able to \
invoke it so that the build result corresponds to what we're looking for.

> > Sedding, as in using sed to change things? That is indeed correct in certain well \
> > defined use cases to adapt a project to the MacPorts build system.
>
> This is not true. Clearly not. It is incorrect in all cases.
> Where you INSTALL, post building, can be patched, sure, not sedding the
> list of modules.

Why do you insist on reading things behind my words? Adapting the list of modules \
shouldn't have to be done by editing the list of modules, I agree. But you know as \
well as I do that some install locations get built into the compiled code, so those \
have to be patched before building.

> We have a very strict policy against insults. And there is a clear line

Sigh. Do you also have a very strict and above all clear policy how insults are \
quantified? One that doesn't rely on everyone speaking his or her native language, \
with a neutral robot translator that cannot be accused of insulting when a \
translation goes awry or a way of saying something happens to be insulting in one \
language or culture and a compliment in another?

> there. And you cannot claim someone insulted you if he did not.

I'd say "You shouldn't claim someone insulted you unless you're damn sure he just \
did". There is a clear line somewhere, yes, but there's a gradient that leads to it \
from the "no insult" side.

> Who's right and wrong is different.

But comparably vague.

> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/multimedia/VLC/files/patch-ffmpeg-2.4.diff

Hmmm, that's a patch for VLC 2.1.5 which is debatable indeed, and which should never \
have been submitted here without proof that the newer versions were in fact supported \
after all (or without companion patches implementing that support). I don't know the \
case, I just didn't notice any issues with VLC 2.1.5 myself that could be attributed \
to running a too new libavcoded (I have 56.13.100). That's all I say about this. Oh, \
and that the patch is no longer included with port:VLC-devel . Has the limitation \
been removed?

R.