List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: OpenGL/GLX dual link error in VLC 2.2.0 git/master via MacPorts	on OS X
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-07 13:51:18

On Saturday February 07 2015 14:24:29 Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> Oh, yes:
> https://github.com/tomahawk-player/homebrew-tomahawk/blob/master/vlc.rb

So they actually apply patches that are specific to tomahawk, rather than provide a \
VLC whatever they call it?

> > Are you really sure VLC git/2.2 works under HB?
> Yes.

As a full "standalone" application, or as a backend to 3rd party apps like tomahawk \
(which I never heard of before)?

> > Also, HB have their own and quite different way of laying out their tree, which \
> > probably is much less prone to introducing confusions because of similarities to \
> > a Linux layout.
>
> And yet, they behave less agressively than MP and than Jeremy, who just

Not "yet"; if I'm right, their layout scheme helps them avoid issues like the one I \
ran into, so they have less reason to defend their way of doing things against yours.

> a couple of mail ago accused us of insults and ad hominem attacks.

Erm, and who accused me of being insulting?

> The fact that HB is now more popular than MP could be also because of
> your attitude?

I'd like to see valid statistics proving that statement. Which is completely \
irrelevant for the rest; HB and MacPorts are complementary.  FWIW, MacPorts is used \
for development and binary distribution building by the developer of a certain well \
known and widely used cross-platform UI framework. And that's completely irrelevant \
to this discussion too :)

> What regression, once again?
> After 10s of comments, there is still no compile log, no runtime logs.

Oh, so after 1h of communication between the deaf I finally understand that you meant
"Can you give us the data needed to see if there is indeed a regression and where, by \
doing a), b) and/or c)" instead of
"What regression, there is no regression"

I can provide whatever you need to do what I asked, just tell me what and how.

> > But I am! Please have a look at the logs I attached to the trac ticket...
>
> Jeremy wasn't, and that's the topic of this mail, about supposedly us
> insulting him, because we closed his bugreport that he kept reopening,
> while the whole time, he was hacking your buildsystem.

In defense of Jeremy, I think he was. I took over the Portfile that had his \
signature, so I'm presuming that's what he used too. And it does a bootstrap before \
invoking configure.

> Not to mention heavily patching VLC, with no good reason, as we can see
> with the NSEnviron ticket.

Again in his defense, I hold him in high esteem as a developer, who knows OS X way \
more intimately than most (he's the main XQuartz developer).

I've seen the patches, I've even extended one (to get rid of the last references to \
Growl). We may not agree on how good the reasons are for those patches (= the ones I \
know of), but from what I can see they have nothing to do with the issue at hand. If \
not only because they were there in 2.1.5 and concern code that hasn't been changed \
since.

Cheers,
R.