List:       macports-dev
Subject:    =?windows-1252?Q?manual_download_/_license_=3F_=28was=3A_manual_?= =?windows-1252?Q?download_and_bui
From:       petr <976F () ingv ! it>
Date:       2014-08-20 10:16:04

On 20 Aug 2014, at 11:31, Mojca Miklavec <mojca@macports.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM, petr wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > yesterday I had a look at some ports which require manual download \
> > (py-nio/py-ngl).
>
> Is this a technical issue or a licence limitation? It's not yet clear
> to me why the licence wouldn't allow fetching the code automatically,
> but I didn't try to read it carefully.
>
> I get a weird link, for example:
> https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/download/fileDownload.htm?logicalFileId=c59d162c-b960-11e0-a567-00c0f03d5b7c
>  but then that link works properly with wget or in the browser.

Mojca,

I had in mind that to download this software it was always necessary to register with \
the website and to accept the Terms of Use and/or License. However, it now looks that \
I can get to the download as guest and no need to accept any such document. So there \
seems to be no real technical barrier anymore.

Can you confirm that you were able to download without any registration and/or \
acceptance of some document?

The license however seems to still make some reference the former process:

http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Licenses/PyNGL_source_license.shtml

INDICATE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS BY CHECKING THE "I have read and hereby \
accept the PyNGL Source Code License Agreement" ON THE REGISTRATION PAGE. IF YOU DO \
NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE AND YOU DO NOT CHECK THE "I ACCEPT" \
BOX, THE INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL NOT CONTINUE.

To the license experts:
Given that this part of the license seems outdated and does not really apply anyway, \
can we download automatically in such a case. We probably need to by very explicit in \
referring to this license (Maybe some Note on installation). For the rest the license \
looks pretty standard and may even contradicts the above condition as redistribution \
seems okay.