List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: GitHub Downloads and the github portgroup
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2013-03-31 11:16:26

On Mar 28, 2013, at 11:36, Ben Smith wrote:

> As someone who has used the github portgroup in the past, I'm wondering if there is \
> an agreed upon new download area for github projects (since Github depreciated \
> downloads). For instance, should we all have a folder under tree/master where we \
> place the tar.gz files?

Putting tar.gz archives of your software into your software's git repository is \
probably a bad idea. Anybody checking out your git repo will now not only get the \
current version of the code, and all of its git history, but also tarballs of parts \
of that history again.

Or if someone asks to download the current version of EconScript by accessing \
https://github.com/tazzben/EconScripts/archive/master.zip they'll get not only the \
current version of EconScripts but also (in Simulations/Python/EG \
Statistic/downloads) those tarballs.

If you must create release tarballs (i.e. if the ones github creates automatically of \
your whole repository are not acceptable) then you should put them in normal web \
space somewhere, not in your repo.

Part of the problem is that you've grouped many items together into this single \
EconScripts git repo. A git repo should contain only a single project; create new git \
repos for new projects. Then you can branch and tag each project separately and it's \
quite simple to download only a single project's code.

On Mar 29, 2013, at 08:42, Ben Smith wrote:

> Thanks to Alex's recommendation, I've created a separate branch where
> I've added the files for MacPorts specifically and tagged each of
> those with release numbers.

Tags appear to be global to the git repository. So now you've got a tag for your \
EconScripts repository called "1.1" that doesn't contain EconScripts 1.1; it only \
contains 2 files from the MacPortsDownloads branch that relate to version 1.1 of \
EGSimulation. Surely this will confuse your other users.

On Mar 30, 2013, at 19:34, Ben Smith wrote:

> Though, I might note that it is not immediately clear that version can actually be \
> a tag name looking at the var names (as a tag could be anything, not just released \
> versions).  But it obviously works, and Alex said your the one that explained that \
> detail to him.

Yes I suppose you could use any tag, but I'm not aware of a reason to. The way this \
is all meant to work is that a developer has a git repo for their project within \
their github account, writes their code for awhile, then decides that version 1.1 of \
this project is ready and makes a tag called "v1.1", and then we can download that \
code in MacPorts by making a port with the line "github.setup author project 1.1 v".