List:       macports-dev
Subject:    Re: dseditgroup on Tiger
From:       Rainer_Müller <raimue () macports ! org>
Date:       2011-07-31 16:08:29

On 2011-07-31 10:02 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Now System Preferences' Accounts pane opens fine. Yes, the MacPorts user is \
> displayed there, next to "Message\ Bus" (which has been there for years) and my \
> regular user. Ideally we wouldn't display the macports user in System Preferences, \
> but it doesn't really matter to me, and I don't know how to hide it. It doesn't \
> show up there on Snow Leopard.

IIRC Tiger showed all users with a UID >= 500. On Leopard and later,
System Preferences and Login Window do not show users with a password
set to the string "*" as we it when creating users with MacPorts.

There is also a global option for the login window to hide specific users:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow
HiddenUsersList -array-add macports

At least I think that's what I did with the messagebus user back then...

As Tiger is unsupported now and this isn't a issue for Leopard and
above, users might do this by hand, but there is no real need to have
the installer do it.

Rainer