List:       m17n
Subject:    Re: [m17n] Hebrew fonts
From:       Mike Fabian <mfabian () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-04-19 22:05:30

Itzhak Ben-Akiva <bakiva@netvision.net.il> writes:

> I need to enable hebrew writing on my Suse Linux. I succeeded to
> install the hebrew fonts. I can read hebrew text, however, I don't
> succeed to write in hebrew. When I change the keyboard fonts and try
> to write, I just get girbbish on the screen.

Sorry for answering very late, I didn't know any solution to your
problem.

But this seems to work on SuSE Linux 8.0 now.

The new Qt3/KDE3 supports bidirectinal writing, i.e. if you
select the Israelian keyboard in the KDE3 control center,
input of hebrew works in KDE3 applications.

In SuSE Linux 8.0 there is also a new terminal available
called 'mlterm' (multilingual terminal). 'mlterm' also supports
bidirectional writing, if you use it in UTF-8 mode. Just start

    LANG=he_IL.UTF-8 mlterm

and select the Israelian keyboard in the KDE3 control center
and you can input hebrew into mlterm.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。