List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Attaching References
From:       "Paul A. Rubin" <parubin73 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-01-30 21:34:41

On 01/28/2017 12:48 PM, William Hanson wrote:
> Here's the present situation:
>
> I use Windows.  On Jan 25 I was unable to get LyX 2.0.5.1 to add just
> three new references to a document.  (The document already had about
> 40 references that LyX had previously created.)  I downloaded a new
> version of LyX (2.2.2), but I'm unable to use it.  Specifically I
> can't even open my document in 2.2.2.  When I try I get the following
> popup: "The selected document class Article (Standard Class) requires
> external files that are unavailable", and it says I must install
> article.cls. When I close that popup I immediately get another one
> that says I need to install fancyhdr.sty.  Closing that popup I get a
> third that tells me  to install enumitem.sty.  I don't know where to
> find or how to install any of these files. And I don't know enough
> about LyX or LATEX to be able to follow the instructions in the User
> Guide and Customization Manual to solve the problem.
The popups are basically saying that MiKTeX (the LaTeX distribution you
are likely using, or trying to use), is either not installed at all or
not installed correctly. I believe that Uwe just updated the Windows
installers on the download page (http://www.lyx.org/Download). The
(rather large) "bundle" version is the one that includes MiKTeX. You
might try that one.

> So I've gone back to trying to make 2.0.5.1 work.  I have a bib file
> that I created in Mendeley, but I can't get 2.0.5.1 to insert it into
> my document.  Sometimes when I try (using Insert → List/TOC → BibTeX
> Bibliography) I'm unable to find this bib file.  Specifically, the box
> that pops up in LyX (with the heading LyX: BibTex Bibliography) is
> empty, and when I hit the Browse button and then go to the Windows
> folder that contains my file its name doesn't appear.
The "Browse" button looks for /style/ files (.bst extension). To find
your bibliography (.bib extension), use the Add... button, then
Browse..., and navigate. (I wasn't sure which Browse button you meant).
>   Other times times I can find and insert this file, but when I try to
> create a pdf I can't.  (Luatex, dvipdfm, and pdflatex do nothing.
> XeTeX and ps2pdf give error messages.)  Before the present problems
> started appearing LuaTeX always created a pdf.
Do you not get an error message for pdflatex? Is the Document > View
[PDF (pdflatex)] menu item enabled? Does anything show up in the status
bar (bottom of the window) when you click this? I wonder if the document
might actually be compiling but then LyX either can't find a viewer to
use (Acrobat Reader is a common choice on Windows) or can't get it to open.

Paul