List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [Feature Request] python binding
From:       Scott Kostyshak <skostysh () lyx ! org>
Date:       2014-05-30 4:44:07

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Alex Vergara Gil <alex@cphr.edu.cu> wrote:
> Hello Lyxers
>
> I wonder why LyX is not available to process little pieces of python code
> within its own framework, like ipython notebook for instance??
> This feature allows us to have beautiful graphics such the one produced by
> matplotlib package. I know there already exists a similar binding for R
> through knitr module, so why not a binding for python too??
>
> Is there a way, like modules or whatever, to achieve the same functionality
> or at least some basic functionality of ipython notebook within LyX??

Hi Alex,

Have you tried using knitr for python? Attached is a simple example
and the output created. For more info, see
http://yihui.name/knitr/demo/engines/ . graphics and everything else
should also work, although you might need to add custom hooks (not as
hard as it sounds).

This might not be ideal because you have to have R installed (knitr is
still itself written in R). But I would be curious in your thoughts.

Scott

["python_knitr.21.lyx" (application/x-lyx)]
["python_knitr.21.pdf" (application/pdf)]