List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Beamer frames in the 2.1b2
From:       Liviu Andronic <landronimirc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-23 16:42:21

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Murat Yildizoglu
<murat.yildizoglu@u-bordeaux4.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was teaching today a course on (a little bit of LaTeX), (a lot of) LyX,
> beamer etc. to our doctoral students, and I have somewhat lost them when I
> showed they how I create a new frame in the new system. Am I doing something
> too cumbersome, or this is the only way to do?
>
> To introduce a new Frame (imagine the first one, for example)
>
> - I type returns until I get on the left border of the page (so out of any
> other environment),
>
> - than I choose the Frame layout from the layouts combo.
>
> -Lyx creates the Frame inset, and sometimes a box for the frame title (not
> always),
>
> - then I get out of the title box, if any, using the right arrow, type
> return to go to a new line,
>
> - insert a Separator layout
>
> -come back with the left arrow,
>
> -type return to go into the frame
>
> - type TAB to get into the environment
>
> - then LyX creates another Frame environment here (bizarre, no?)
>
> - I change the layout in something more useful (standard for a figure or
> BeamerIncrementalItemize, etc.)
>
> - then at last I can fill my frame!
>
> That seems too many operations also to me (I do not feel them, because I
> have KeyboardMaestro shortcuts for doing them), but I have seen that the
> students became discouraged by this.
>
> Questions :
>
> 1/ is there a quicker way?

I stumbled onto the same issue when playing around with 2.1 beamer. I
may be wrong, but I don't think there's a quicker way. And for what
it's worth, I also found the whole process rather confusing and
somewhat cumbersome. (Just to be sure check the official docs Help >
Specific > Beamer, or wait for Juergen's input.) Personally I think
that the 2.1 overhaul of Beamer support is absolutely awesome and very
useful, and rids us of many limitations and compatibility issues that
plagued Beamer in LyX <=2.0.x. But it is still rough around the edges,
at least user-experience-wise.

I was wondering, though, if maybe we should consider using custom
insets instead of styles (at least for the frames, as is done in the
'seminar' layout; check Examples > seminar.lyx and
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/5515 ). This should remove the
frustrating experience of inserting a frame (that you describe above).
And it should make a Beamer document much easier to read, much more
intuitive for casual LyX users. Of course we would need to close
several related bugs, like http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/7877 and
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6825 , but nothing insurmountable as
far as I can see.

Regards,