List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Child documents, integration and citation
From:       Richard Heck <rgheck () comcast ! net>
Date:       2012-05-19 1:59:09

On 5/18/12 7:31 AM, Ray Rashif wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I want to confirm that this is a bug. I've noticed some old threads on
> this [1] but I believe it's a little different.
>
> When the master document includes the bibliography, opening the child
> document and adding a citation works. So, while editing, the child
> document is aware of the bib database. When compiling for preview,
> however, that knowledge is lost and citations are replaced with
> "(author?)" and the like. Obviously, there is no reference list for
> that child document.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to actually integrate the child document while
> rendering? Do not show the references, but do show citations that are
> valid (i.e. that exists in the bib included in the master doc). You
> can reproduce this with a template [2].

There are various ways to handle this. The problem, such as it is, is due
to the fact that, if you compile the child document "standalone", then it's
treated as its own document, and not as a child. Option 1 is to compile
the master document instead, which you can do from the View menu, and
assign a shortcut to do. Option 2 is more complicated, and involves putting
a bibliography inset into the child, but protecting it with a LaTeX if-then
construct, so that it isn't actually included when you compile the master.

So it's not really a bug, but a consequence of how LyX handles children.

Richard