List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Another lyx-produced book
From:       stefano franchi <stefano.franchi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-11-30 22:21:36

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Richard Heck <rgheck@comcast.net> wrote:

> **
> On 11/30/2011 12:44 PM, stefano franchi wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
>  in the wake of Richard's announcement, here is another one. The book "A
> Search for a Theory of Cognition," which I edited with Francesco Bianchini,
> has just come out with Rodopi:
> http://www.amazon.com/Search-Theory-Cognition-Mechanisms-Inquiry/dp/9042034270
> .
>
>  Congratulations!

And to you as well!

>  I produced book entirely in Lyx, to Rodopi's specs. They printed it from
> the pdf file. I used memoir as base class, and customized it. References
> were done with biblatex (+biber), with a customized style. Customizing the
> memoir and biblatex took quite a bit of effort, since Rodopi's specs were
> for Microsoft Word. I ended up buyiing myself a typographer ruler and
> working from an actual book in the VIBS series.
>
>  I had to do something similar, though OUP sent me their design
> specification, so I didn't actually have to measure things. I DID have to
> hold up pages printed from my implementation to a light, with one printed
> from their specification manual behind it, to see if they lined up
> correctly.

Boy, do I know that drill! I am lucky that it never rains in Texas, as I
needed all the sunlight I could get. For a few days I had several pages of
the actual book I was using as a  design reference permanently taped to my
kitchen's windows, so I could easily check my latex output against them.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA