List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Author year in text citation
From:       Richard Heck <rgheck () comcast ! net>
Date:       2011-06-30 21:11:56

On 06/30/2011 02:59 PM, Diego Queiroz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Thomas <thomas.triebs@cantab.net
> <mailto:thomas.triebs@cantab.net>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     I am using Lxy 2.0 under Windows and I am using the Firefox Zotero
>     plug in for my bibliography.
>
>     I have the following problem.
>
>     When trying to format in text citations as "Author (Year)" which I
>     can choose right clicking the citation in Lyx the PDF (pdflatex)
>     produces "(author?)" followed by the reference number in brackets.
>
>     Citation style is Natbib and generator is bibtex.
>
>     I tried various approaches suggested online but nothing works.
>     Unfortunately, I am not even sure which of the many suggestions
>     apply to my problem (if any).
>
>     Any pointers are much appreciated!
>
>     Thomas
>

> Thomas,
>
> I don't remember exactly why this happens.

The usual reason is that there is some kind of error in the BibTeX file
that is preventing a proper read of the file, at which point it defaults
to numerical citations, and you get weird errors. A very common reason
is that there are improperly encoded characters in the BibTeX file,
e.g., Unicode quotes or dashes. I do not myself know why programs that
claim to produce BibTeX files do not, by default, produce them in a
valid BibTeX encoding, which basically means ASCII. In any event, if you
are using Zotero, then you need to tell it to write the BibTeX file as
pure ASCII.

Note: This is not a LyX limitation, but a BibTeX one. There are 8-bit
BibTeX processors, and you can use something like biber instead, which
will handle Unicode. So telling LyX to use one of those instead of
bibtex (under Tools>Preferences>Output>LaTeX) is also an option.

Richard